Self-Advocacy Presentation Info Sheet
Self-advocacy means speaking up for yourself and taking charge of your life so you can handle your own problems and made sure you get what you need. There are four simple steps to self- advocacy:
STEP 1: BE ORGANIZED
● Keep all important papers
● Keep a record of all important phone calls
● Keep your papers organized
STEP 2: DEVELOP A PLAN OF ACTION
● Write down possible solutions
● Choose the option that works best for you
● Keep a calendar of important deadlines
STEP 3: TAKE ACTION
● Be prepared!
● Be calm!
● Don’t give up!
STEP 4: DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP
● As a self-advocate you will know what needs to be done to take care of legal problems and many other problems before they become too serious.
Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc.
TTY (860) 262-5066
P. O. Box 351 Silver Street
Middletown, CT 06457