Grievance Presentation Info Sheet



  • The Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) has┬áset up a grievance process for people who think that DMHAS or its providers have violated their rights.
  • Legal advocates are available to answer questions about the grievance process, and to file grievances for persons with serious problems.
  • A grievance must be filed within forty-five (45) days of the action the person believes was unfair or wrong. This may be waived for unusual circumstances.
  • The grievance must be in writing and sent to the Client Rights Officer (CRO) at the agency. It does not need to be in a specific form, but it must contain the basic facts related to the grievance.
  • The CRO will investigate the grievance and try to resolve the complaint.
  • If the CRO does not resolve the complaint, the head of the agency must issue a written decision.
  • If that decision is not satisfactory, the grievance can be appealed to the Commissioner of Mental Health & Addiction Services, whose office must review the appeal and issue a written decision.
  • A fair hearing following the commissioner’s decision is allowed only on grievances that involve a denial, reduction, or termination of services.
  • Grievances can help change the way the people receiving mental health services are treated.

For more information about filing a grievance, or help from a legal advocate,
call Connecticut Legal Rights Project
TTY 860-262-5066
Or write
P.O. Box 351 Silver Street, Middletown, CT 06457