Q: How do I contact Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc. for assistance?
A: Call our office at 1-877-402-2299 (in the state of CT) or (860) 262-5030. Our intake paralegal will screen for eligibility and review your legal issue. We conduct intakes Monday through Friday from 10 AM - 12 PM and 1 PM - 3 PM

Q: I have a good job, but I cannot afford an attorney. I have rent and other bills to pay. Isn't your service based on income, where I can just pay a little bit?

A: Eligibility for our services is based upon income, evidence of a mental health condition and the type of legal issue. Although we may be able to consider certain extenuating circumstances, routine monthly expenses such as rent, utilities and groceries are not considered.

Q: What types of cases do you handle?

A: CLRP’s attorneys and paralegals provide services ranging from brief advice and information to full legal representation. For examples of cases we handle, please see Legal Issues We Handle (Link to section).

Q: What are the income guidelines and how do I qualify?

A: Our income guidelines are based upon the 125% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines. If you meet our income guidelines, have or are perceived to have a psychiatric disability, eligible to be or are a client of the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services and have a legal issue we handle, you are qualified to be a client of Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc.

Q: I need information for my friend; can you give it to me?

A: We would prefer that your friend call him/herself if he/she need help. However, if your friend is unable to call, depending upon the kind of information you are seeking, we may be able to help.

Q: Can I speak to an attorney at intake?

A: Generally, no.

Q: Do I have to have an appointment?

No. We do accept walk-ins. However, we strongly recommend making an appointment which will enable us to give you our full attention at a mutually convenient time.

Q: I've been served with papers, what do I do?

A: It is important to know the date on which you received the papers, what kind of papers they are and whether a hearing is scheduled. If you call for an intake, we may ask you to fax or mail the papers to our office.

Q: Do you do all divorces?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in divorce or separation cases.

Q: I need child support. Can you get child support for me?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in child support or custody cases.

Q: If my landlord doesn't fix things in my apartment, can I quit paying rent?

A: No.

Q: Can I get representation from Legal Services in a car wreck situation?

A: No. CLRP does not provide representation in personal injury cases.

Q: Can I get representation from Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc. for DUI or possession of drugs?

A: No. We do not represent people in criminal matters.

Q: I was hurt at work. Can I file for Worker’s Compensation through Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc.?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in Workers Compensation cases. You should be able to find a private attorney who will take your case

Q: Can I represent myself?

A: You may represent yourself as a defendant, but we do not necessarily advise you to do so if you can obtain representation.

Do you accept referrals from other Legal Services Agencies?

A: Yes.