Intake Process

Persons interested in legal representation from CLRP should call 1-877-402-2299 or (860) 262-5030 or TTY (860) 262-5066. Our intake hours are 10 AM - 12 PM and 1 PM - 3 PM. The Screener, who speaks English and Spanish, will obtain information to determine whether individuals qualify for representation. Callers will be asked for information regarding address, telephone, income and benefits, rental type, where mental health services (if any) are received and the legal issue. CLRP may require documentation related to the legal issue that may need to be faxed, brought in or otherwise delivered to the office prior to case acceptance. Our attorneys review all requests for representation once a week, usually a Monday afternoon, excluding holidays.

If at intake, it has been determined CLRP cannot accept a case, CLRP will do everything possible to provide a referral. Due to a lack of available resources and staff, CLRP attorneys and paralegals will only offer representation in cases that have substantial legal merit. Persons who believe their services were unfairly denied assistance can file a grievance. (link to Grievance Policy)

All other issues are forwarded to a paralegal advocate or attorney for analysis and case acceptance. Once a case has been accepted, clients are required to sign forms authorizing CLRP to obtain additional information relevant to the case. Note that a conservator’s approval is not required for CLRP’s services.

CLRP only represents a person with a psychiatric disability. CLRP represents clients in accordance with their expressed preferences in administrative, judicial and legislative venues to enforce their legal rights and assure that personal choices are respected and individual self-determination is protected.

CLRP represents the individual with a psychiatric disability and every effort is made to have direct contact with that person. If another person has the documented legal authority to speak on behalf of the individual, that person can assist the potential client in seeking representation, or if necessary, make arrangements for CLRP to speak or meet with the person.

It is CLRP’s goal to assure that every individual who requests assistance for themselves or on behalf of another is able to obtain services to address the problem. CLRP has an extensive referral list and will try to refer callers to an agency that can help them.

Reasonable Accommodations

CLRP will make every reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities who require our services.

Limited English Proficiency

CLRP is committed to delivering quality legal services to clients regardless of language or cultural background. Language barriers prevent meaningful communication, thereby inhibiting the quality of services CLRP provides.

CLRP recognizes that many persons who seek our services are not proficient in the English language or would prefer to communicate in a language other than English. It is the policy of CLRP to ensure that all persons with limited English proficiency who seek our services are provided free access to competent interpreters during consultations or case-related communications with CLRP, and that interpreter services are provided within the requirements of confidentiality. CLRP provides an interpreter service from Language Line Services.

Callers Who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired

CLRP has a TTY line at the central office that can be used to communicate with persons who require this service. The number is 860-262-5066.


Q: How do I contact Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc. for assistance?
A: Call our office at 1-877-402-2299 (in the state of CT) or (860) 262-5030. Our intake paralegal will screen for eligibility and review your legal issue. We conduct intakes Monday through Friday from 10 AM - 12 PM and 1 PM - 3 PM

Q: I have a good job, but I cannot afford an attorney. I have rent and other bills to pay. Isn't your service based on income, where I can just pay a little bit?

A: Eligibility for our services is based upon income, evidence of a mental health condition and the type of legal issue. Although we may be able to consider certain extenuating circumstances, routine monthly expenses such as rent, utilities and groceries are not considered.

Q: What types of cases do you handle?

A: CLRP’s attorneys and paralegals provide services ranging from brief advice and information to full legal representation. For examples of cases we handle, please see Legal Issues We Handle (Link to section).

Q: What are the income guidelines and how do I qualify?

A: Our income guidelines are based upon the 125% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines. If you meet our income guidelines, have or are perceived to have a psychiatric disability, eligible to be or are a client of the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services and have a legal issue we handle, you are qualified to be a client of Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc.

Q: I need information for my friend; can you give it to me?

A: We would prefer that your friend call him/herself if he/she need help. However, if your friend is unable to call, depending upon the kind of information you are seeking, we may be able to help.

Q: Can I speak to an attorney at intake?

A: Generally, no.

Q: Do I have to have an appointment?

No. We do accept walk-ins. However, we strongly recommend making an appointment which will enable us to give you our full attention at a mutually convenient time.

Q: I've been served with papers, what do I do?

A: It is important to know the date on which you received the papers, what kind of papers they are and whether a hearing is scheduled. If you call for an intake, we may ask you to fax or mail the papers to our office.

Q: Do you do all divorces?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in divorce or separation cases.

Q: I need child support. Can you get child support for me?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in child support or custody cases.

Q: If my landlord doesn't fix things in my apartment, can I quit paying rent?

A: No.

Q: Can I get representation from Legal Services in a car wreck situation?

A: No. CLRP does not provide representation in personal injury cases.

Q: Can I get representation from Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc. for DUI or possession of drugs?

A: No. We do not represent people in criminal matters.

Q: I was hurt at work. Can I file for Worker’s Compensation through Connecticut Legal Rights Project, Inc.?

A: CLRP does not provide representation in Workers Compensation cases. You should be able to find a private attorney who will take your case

Q: Can I represent myself?

A: You may represent yourself as a defendant, but we do not necessarily advise you to do so if you can obtain representation.

Do you accept referrals from other Legal Services Agencies?

A: Yes.